Serve Your Local Food Bank
Many nonprofit organizations maintain food banks and rely on volunteer support to assist in organizing donations and similar tasks. This can be a simple and inexpensive way for your church or youth group to serve the community.
- Have a volunteer contact a local food bank to coordinate your trip with the food bank, including the date, time, number of volunteers and any age requirements.
- Enlist a crew to go serve at the food bank.
- Coordinate drivers and have them printed directions.
- Allow plenty of time for service and also some time to pray at the food bank for their ministry and outreach.
- Materials are not necessary for this project, but remember that many food banks have been short on donations in these tough economic times.
- Sometimes younger children are not allowed to serve at food banks.
- Close-toed shoes are a good dress code rule for working at a food bank.
- Consider bringing along a few non-perishable food items or even holding food drive at your church prior to your trip.