The Medical/Dental Bus Ministry of Baptists on Mission began in 1989 to help physical and spiritual needs in North Carolina communities. NC Baptists On Mission offer the use of the mobile medical/dental units to Baptist churches, other Christian denominations, and service organizations within North Carolina who wish to reach out to people in need. Patients targeted through this ministry include people without insurance, the financially challenged, Hispanic and other ethnic groups, migrant workers, fair workers, the homeless, the elderly, and more.
Churches who wish to sponsor a free medical/dental clinic will need to:
- Enlist volunteer staff (dentists, nurses, interpreters, counselors, and general helpers) to work the clinic. Call Julie Dolinger (1-800-395-5102 ext. 5603) to reserve a date for your dental clinic.
- A deposit of $200 per day is required to secure the date. This deposit is applied to the total cost of the clinic. (Charges for using the medical/dental bus include: $8.00 per patient to help offset the cost of materials used in the bus; .65 roundtrip mileage for the bus from Cary to the clinic site; reimbursement for driver's overnight accommodations and meals (if necessary), use of the on board generator (if necessary)).
- Identify the target patient group and how to reach them.
- Make arrangements for clinic site: parking for bus, electricity, etc.
- Make an appointment schedule, hold screenings, and register patients.
- Consider offering childcare.
- Consider an evangelical witness, food or snacks, hygiene kits, etc.
The mobile units are equipped with 2 dental exam rooms. Dental treatments may included restorations (fillings) and extractions.
Baptists On Mission/NCBM Statement of Faith
Diabetic screening is available on the Health Screening bus (not on the Dental truck). Equipment and supplies available with the Health Screening Ministry to perform A1c tests, which is the new national standard of care. Churches need to enlist a nurse (RN) to perform the tests. The cost to the church is $8.00 per patient screened. For more information, contact Crystal Horton, health screening coordinator at email@example.com . You can also call Crystal at 919-459-5610.
2011 and 2018 Mobile Dental Units
On October 12, 2011, a beautiful new mobile medical dental unit pulled into the parking lot of the Baptist State Convention. Twenty-two years had passed since the first medical/dental bus pulled into the parking lot at 205 Convention Drive in Cary. During these 22 years of service, thousands of needy North Carolinians have received free medical and dental care. Most importantly, churches, laypeople, dentists, doctors and nurses have shared with love of Christ with these patients.
On July 9, 2018, the newest mobile dental truck was delivered. This truck replaced the 2001 Bluebird Bus. Both of these trucks are housed at the Baptist State Convention in Cary. The 1989 unit has been moved to Truett Baptist Association near Murphy, N.C. It is set up as a stationary clinic and used by the association to serve five of the most western N.C. counties.