Baby Shower for Unwed Mother
Nearly 4 out of every 10 births are to unwed mothers, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Whether a young teenager, college student, or working woman finds herself pregnant outside of marriage it can be scary, challenging and life-changing. Use the opportunity for blessing and loving her. Partner with the local pregnancy care center to find young women in need.
- Identify unwed pregnant women in the church or community. Call the local pregnancy care center for referrals.
- Contact the unwed mothers and ask if you can throw a shower. Set up a day, time and place.
- Advertise the shower to the mother’s family and friends who may be interested in coming.
- Purchase decorations and refreshments. Ask others in your church to help bring refreshments (punch, cake, light meal).
- Consider playing a few fun games. You can find some ideas online, see link below.
- Ask the pregnancy resource center for a list of specific gift ideas. Then ask women or families at your church to purchase or donate these items. You could also raise money from your church, then go shopping.
- Have a team of women arrive early and decorate for the event. Play music to set the mood. Enjoy the party!
- Consider hosting the shower in a community building instead of at the church.
- Establish an ongoing ministry through the women’s missions or ministry of the church.
- Host baby shower drives regularly so that the church members can give toward the cause.
- Encourage church members to attend showers to share love with the mother.
- Offer the mother a ride to and from the event.
- Hold a prayer time for the new mother when appropriate.